Today, the Knox County Commission met to organize for the year. They elected Third District Commissioner Randy Smith as Chairman by a vote of 7 to 4. Four Commissioners voted for Fifth District Commissioner John Schoonmaker.
Knox County Clerk Foster Arnett conducted his eighth and final Commission Chairman election and still didn’t get it right. Arnett said “by a vote of 7-4 Commissioner Smith is the new Commissioner.” Watch the video below.
For Vice Chairman they elected Seventh District Commissioner Charles Busler by a vote for 6-5. Five Commissioners voted for Second District Commissioner Michele Carringer.
So, here are several things that are take aways from today’s meeting.
- Six older white guys kept Knox County Commission from having a woman as Knox County Vice Chair. Keeping Knox County in the old days where women had their place and the men were at the Dias making the rules. So today is Gray Monday.
- Six older white guys selected a Commissioner that faces an ethics investigation.
- Commissioner Carson Dailey nominated Commissioner Schoonmaker as Chairman thinking he was qualified for the job, I suppose
- Commissioner Dailey then nominated Commissioner Busler as Vice Chairman thinking he was qualified for the job, I suppose.
- Why would Schoonmaker not be qualified for Vice Chairman? Why is Busler not qualified for Chairman?
- Was Dailey following a script that would elect Schoonmaker Chair and Busler Vice Chair and the script did not provide for options if #1 was not successful?